Red pomegranate seeds are known as a source of antioxidants and fight against many diseases, but what about the benefits of pomegranate peel?
Pomegranate is one of the fruits with a delicious taste and many benefits to the health of the body and has long been described in ancient medicine for the treatment of many diseases, in addition to what modern medicine has proven its role in resisting cancer, treating it and preventing many other health problems.
Benefits of boiled pomegranate peel
You can boil dried pomegranate peels and drink water after filtering to get many benefits, including:
- Treating digestive problems and stomach disorders.
- Control of colon problems.
- Promote kidney and liver health.
- An ideal drink to eliminate parasites.
Pomegranate peel powder or dried peels can be boiled with a mixture of herbs containing: mint, ginger, cumin, and green tea with a small spoon of honey, to get an immune-boosting and parasite-repellent drink. Or you can collect these ingredients in their dry form and grind them together and then add a spoonful of them to a cup of boiling water and drink it, and then add honey to it.
Benefits of crushed pomegranate peel and how to use it
The crushed pomegranate peel can be used to treat several health problems by using several recipes:
- To get rid of bad breath: Eat a tablespoon of crushed pomegranate peel to treat bad breath.
- To lower blood pressure, reduce stress, and promote heart health: Drink a cup of boiled ground pomegranate peel daily.
- To get rid of throat pain: Eat a tablespoon of crushed pomegranate peel or gargle with its water after boiling it.
- Strengthening the bones and promoting their health: Eating boiled crushed pomegranate peel with lemon juice and salt helps reduce the loss of bone density, and thus prevent osteoporosis.
Pomegranate peel drying
When we talk about the pomegranate peel, we mean here the complete inner and outer peel and surrounding the seeds only without the inner yellow pulp with a bitter taste, we will talk to you here in particular about the benefits of pomegranate peel and how to use it:
How to dry pomegranate peels?
Pomegranate peels are usually dried by applying the following:
- Take a fresh pomegranate and cut it in half from the middle.
- Cut it into four sections to make it easier to remove the red seeds and bitter pulp.
- Take the outer peels and cut them into smaller pieces to facilitate the drying process.
- Put it on a dry cloth and expose it to direct sunlight.
- After they are completely dried, you can use them as is or grind them using a masher.
- Keep it in an airtight bag or in a special box.
Benefits of pomegranate peel for the skin
Pomegranate peel has many benefits for the skin, hair, and beauty, which include:
- Pomegranate peel powder is a natural moisturizer for the skin: it can be mixed with milk and placed on the face for ten minutes, then washed with cold water.
- A natural exfoliator for the skin to remove dead cells: Brown sugar can be mixed with pomegranate peel powder and olive oil and used to exfoliate the skin by massaging it and then washing it with lukewarm water.
- Sun protection and reduced risk of skin cancer: Mix pomegranate peel powder with a combination of essential oils and vitamin E, then apply it to your skin as a natural sunscreen.
- Treating acne and fighting pimples: Mix pomegranate peel powder with a little rose water and apply it to the face for 20 minutes.
- Fighting wrinkles and signs of aging: Use pomegranate peel powder with olive oil, avocado, or milk and apply it for a quarter of an hour on the face and then wash it off with lukewarm water.
- Promotes healthy hair and strengthens it: thanks to its mineral and antioxidant content, it also fights dandruff.
Benefits of pomegranate peel for your health
It was found that pomegranate peels may help promote public health and treat some diseases when eaten, due to their content of:
- Phenolic compounds.
- A variety of minerals, such as potassium, magnesium, sodium, calcium, phosphorous and complex sugars.
Here are the most important benefits of these pomegranate peels:
1- Preventing heart disease
Powerful antioxidants are found in red pomegranate seeds as well as in their peels such as; Flavonoids and phenolic compounds.
It helps fight infections and cardiovascular disease, and the pomegranate peel is a source of potassium and magnesium, two very important elements for the work of the heart and arteries and for regulating and controlling blood pressure.
In addition, eating boiled crushed pomegranate peel contributes to reducing cholesterol levels in the blood and helps to combat atherosclerosis.
2- Promote gut health
It was found that pomegranate peels have anti-inflammatory properties of the digestive system and intestines and facilitate the digestion process, as they help to stop bleeding in the intestine and enhance the work of its lining thanks to its content of some minerals such as potassium, magnesium, and tannins, and therefore it helps in the prevention and treatment of diarrhea.
The pomegranate peel is also a repellent for parasites and worms that may be inside the intestine and contributes to promoting colon health and preventing hemorrhoids. It is advised to consult a specialist doctor and therapist before that.
3- Treatment of sore throat
Pomegranate peel can contribute to soothing the symptoms of tonsillitis and throat thanks to its anti-inflammatory properties and thanks to powerful antioxidants it contains such as; Flavonoids, used in this case by boiling a group of dried or powdered pomegranate peels in water and then drinking the boiled.
Or you can gargle using it, this will help you reduce tonsil pain and sore throat as well in some cases.
4- Promote oral and dental health
One of the benefits of pomegranate peel is that it helps treat a range of oral and dental problems by cleansing the mouth and balancing the bacterial environment in it, and among these problems, it works to combat:
- Bad breath problem.
- Tooth decay.
- mouth ulcers
In this case, it is applied by gargling twice a day with a mixture of one tablespoon of dry pomegranate peel powder with a glass of water to eliminate bad breath, or rubbing the gums with powder to reduce swelling and to fight cavities.
5- Promote bone health
It was found that eating pomegranate peel powder can contribute to reducing bone density loss and preventing bone loss, especially in the post-forty and menopausal stages, thanks to its calcium and phosphorous content.
Read also: 6 Best Weight Loss Exercises For Women
In addition to its anti-inflammatory properties that contribute to promoting bone and joint health, it is recommended to drink a mixture of pomegranate peel powder with lemon juice to obtain this benefit.
6- Benefits of pomegranate peel for slimming
It may sometimes be recommended to try boiled pomegranate peel in the matter of weight loss and diets. Drinking boiled pomegranate peel with ginger or mint may:
- Helps facilitate digestion and excretion.
- It encourages metabolism and fat burning in the body.
- It helps you feel full and reduce the amount of food you eat during the day.
- We also advise you to drink this boiled one to two times per day to obtain this benefit in such cases.
7- The benefits of pomegranate peel for the stomach
Dried pomegranate peel, when consumed in the form of boiled or powdered, improves the health of the digestive system and stomach thanks to its content of antioxidants, anti-inflammatory, and tannins. The pomegranate peel treats problems of stomach acidity, ulcers, and infections and alleviates symptoms.
It is recommended to take a mixture of powdered dried pomegranate peel with milk and rock salt to treat digestive problems.